The Main Campus of the University of Concepcion is located in Concepcion, 500 kilometers south from Santiago, the capital of the country. The University started its academic activities in 1919. The area which comprises the different Academic and Administrative units as well as the parks areas is known as “University Neighborhood”.
Nowadays this campus is a beautiful recreational area for the community. With almost 250,000 m2 in buildings and facilities, the University is shown to the world as a knowledge, culture, science, investigation and technology center of creation.
One of the highlights of the Campus is the Casa del Arte, which is enhanced by the mural: “Presence of Latin America”, created by Mexican artist Jorge Gonzalez Camarena. There is a collection of 1731 pictorial works in the art gallery of Casa del Arte where it is common to see concerts performed by the Choir and Orchestra of University of Concepción.
Another hallmark of the city and the region are the Arch of the University of Concepción and the Clock Tower. The latter was inaugurated in the early months of 1944 and it became the main attraction of that time. Nowadays visitors are not allowed to go up to the balcony, in an attempt to preserve the structure of this important architectural work.
Along with its beautiful architecture and magnificent park, the Concepcion Campus also stands out because of the strong cultural activity during the whole year. Outdoor shows, literary and pictorial presentations, plays, round table, seminars, conferences, and workshops generally open to the academic and members of the community.
On the other hand, there is a great academic offer: 86 undergraduate programs that represent a great spectrum of specialties for students from the Biobio Region and all over the country. Along with degree courses, students interested in continue studying have the opportunity to choose among a great variety of Postgraduate Studies, which already include 2000 students studying these programs.
Concepcion Campus is a city icon and it stands as a convergence point of the Biobio Region and the rest of the country.
University of Concepcion, one of the most important universities in Chile, has contributed in the preparation of professionals for more than 90 years.
Right in the agricultural core of the country, University of Concepcion has developed a higher education center in agro sciences and related disciplines: the Chillan Campus, which represents an academic perspective of excellence.
The Chillan Campus is located in the city of Chillan, 117 km north from Concepcion and is known to be a geographical center of the Chilean agriculture in a piece of land of 100 ha located 2 km away from the city. The presence of the University of Concepcion and other Higher Education institutions has turned this city of almost 200 thousand inhabitants into one of the most important university centers in the south of Chile. Its mission is to develop the Agriculture and Livestock Sciences at the highest level.
Located in the heart of the farming world, this center has become the only one with these characteristics in the country. The Campus comprises a large spectrum of professional disciplines required in a farming world of the future with a perspective of changes in agriculture as a solid field of potential economic development.
Its origin dates from 1954, period in which the School of Agronomy was created using the human and material resources of “Plan Chillan”. These resources were offered to the university by an agreement signed among the University of Concepcion, the Department of Agriculture and the Institute of Inter American Affairs of the United States.
This international program contributed a very prestigious group of professionals from the farming world with post graduate courses in American and European universities. This group formed the base of the teaching staff of the Campus, along with the support provided by international experts who served as advisers in the different projects of Plan Chillan. The previous points in addition to the valuable contribution provided by laboratories, equipment, specialized library and technical systems promoted at the time the leadership of this School in those years in this specialty nationwide.
On account of its constant development, there was a need for creating other degree courses related to agriculture & livestock and forestry activities of the region. This is how degree courses such as the Veterinary Medicine Sciences in 1973, Forest Engineering in 1977 (currently in Concepcion), and Agricultural Civil Engineering in 1988 were created.
Nowadays the Chillan Campus has three faculties and two independent degree courses, with a significant number of professors, an important number of administrative staff, who guarantee a close attention and permanent concern for giving each student the highest academic excellence.
The Chillan Campus has a diversity of facilities such as administrative buildings, classrooms, auditoriums, laboratories, teaching staff offices and sports fields, with more than 25,000 m2 built, which are distributed among trees and gardens of an old and beautiful park. Furthermore, it has all kind of resources that inspires and enables the creativity, study and welfare of students in one of the most prestigious Centers of Higher Education in Chile.
There are significant cooperation agreements with the most important universities and institutions of the United States, Germany, Spain, Great Britain, Holland, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina and Peru and the University of Concepcion and its Chillan Campus.
Los Angeles Campus of the University of Concepcion was founded in 1962 by request of the community of Biobio province to the rector of that period Mr. David Stitchkin Branover and thanks to the contribution obtained from the government by way of Manuel Rioseco Vásquez, congressman.
That same year topography started as a Normal Course, and in 1963 it was opened as a degree course. In 1966 started the degree course of Forestry Technicians, the current Headquarter was built by the architect Mr. Ronald Ramm; and the support committee to the local management was created, in which the congressman Rioseco and Mr. Abaraim Püschel R. stand out. Moreover, both promoted the first Season School. This shows the close relationship between the Academic Unit and the community of the province.
In 1967 the degree course of Accountant Auditor was founded and The Normal Course changed to Primary Education and several specialties were created. In 1971, it is included the areas of Mathematics and Biology in the Secondary Education Teachers Program.
Currently, the degree courses on the infancy areas (Nursery School, Primary and Special Education) are included in the Education area, besides the degree courses of Secondary Teaching with Major in Natural Science-Biology, Secondary Teaching with Major in Mathematics and Computing. The Accountant Auditor degree course remains, which leads to a Bachelor’s degree. The Agro industrial Engineering, Plant Biotechnology and Geomatic Engineering are offered as well. All this constitutes a total of 1,300 students and the equivalent of 58 full time teachers. There are plans for the Los Angeles Campus to have two faculties and in order to accomplish this purpose, the teaching staff has been receiving training, which has enabled them to developed researching skills, both in the education and forest area.